Monday, January 4, 2010

#126 It Happened One Night (1934)



*****

Director: Frank Capra
Cast: Clark Gable, Claudette Colbert, Walter Connolly, Roscoe Karns, Jameson Thomas

Oh my god! How could I have gone 22 years of my life without seeing this film?! I have always loved me some Clark Gable, and this film just sky-rocketed the senseless infatuation to the moon! The movie was charming, witty, romantic... everything a classic movie should be. I even caught myself literally laughing out loud during the scene when Peter hauls Ellie across the creek as they bicker over what it means to have a piggy-back ride.

The story centers around a recently fired journalist named Peter (Clark Gable) who happens to land on the same bus as a millionaire's daughter who is fleeing to meet her husband despite her father's disapproval of their marriage (Claudette Colbert). Along the way, the lady finds herself in endless trouble, and Peter finds himself consistently in a position to rescue. By the end of the film, the two have twisted together so tightly that separation becomes unfathomable. What is so utterly amazing is that the romantic aspect of this film is built so gradually that it truly feels real, not forced into movie-time like most romance flicks. By the time the two realize each other's importance, you feel a connection between them as well-- which becomes a relief after so many ups and downs during their trial-filled journey.

Absolutely adorable. In every sense of the word. Five stars, undoubtedly. Love love love love!
I can already tell I'll be seeing this one again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment