Thursday, December 31, 2009

#119 Vertigo (1958)



****

Director: Alfred Hitchcock
Cast: James Stewart, Kim Novak, Barbara Bel Geddes, Tom Helmore

This movie was a surprise to me. I had always assumed that Psycho was Hitchcock's masterpiece, and I needn't ever worry about it being kicked off the thrown. Then this movie came along. Though it starts extremely slow, the surprises and plot twists in this movie keep coming, and the perversity with which Stewart dresses up Judy Barton as Madeleine is truly twisted-- shocking even for 2009!

I gave it only four stars because of the way the beginning crawled and because I find Jimmy Stewart truly irritating and definitely not handsome enough for Kim Novak.

It's now the eve of 2010, and I am off to drink and be merry into the next decade.
Bottoms up!

No comments:

Post a Comment